This post may contain affiliate links which means I receive a small commission at no cost to you when you make a purchase. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Are you into all things metaphysical? Super “woo woo” as they like to call us? Then you're in the right place! If you've ever asked if you could make money with your intuition and gifts, the answer is YES!
There are a few things to know before going into business for yourself, especially as a witch or in the metaphysical niche.
Business is tough.
It's easy to have your head in the clouds when it comes to starting a passion-based business. The bad part about being a solo entrepreneur, though, is that you really can't be EVERYTHING your business needs. There's no way you can be an expert marketer, expert bookkeeper, expert at Etsy SEO, expert tax preparer, and run your entire business.
Consider enlisting help as your business grows. When I hired an assistant, the time I was spending doing mundane tasks that I hated was able to be freed up so much – and my business grew exponentially as a result.
There's a lot of competition.
The metaphysical niche is one of those niches that has loads of competition, but it isn't difficult to stand out if you're authentic. When I started doing tarot card readings, selling crystals, etc, I thought I would never be recognized because I was so brand new to the industry.
Little did I know, I would easily rise to the top because people can see right through all of the spam and scams that flood this niche.
All that to say: yes, there is a lot of competition, but it isn't difficult to stand out if you are your authentic self and bring a unique product (or perspective) to the table.
People are soul suckers.
Whether you're brand new or not, people are soul suckers and reading cards for ungrateful clients can take its toll. You will have obsessive clients that come to you week after week asking about a new love interest, and they get upset when you tell them “he's not the one” – when all the red flags are waving and you're just telling them what they should already know, they still get upset. This can be energy draining, especially if you're intuitive and empathetic.
On the other hand, you'll also discover amazing clients that become friends. They are the ones that will help you get through the rough days!
Now, let's talk about some metaphysical side hustles and business ideas for witchy folks!
Tarot Card Reader
I have loved tarot cards since I first learned what they were in middle school. After I finally got my hands on a deck, my mom found out and burnt them. That may have contributed to my absolute obsession with collecting tarot cards over the decades.
When we moved to Mexico, I donated 50+ decks and left myself with two. My favorite decks are [Witch's Tarot] and [Lightseer's Tarot]. I've made money doing tarot card readings, selling tarot card holders, and more. When we moved, I sold my witchy business, but one of these days, I'll create a tarot/witchy related blog again. Stay tuned. 😉
Successful examples of tarot card readers include:
- Hood Witch: charges $80USD for a 30-minute tarot card reading
- Whitney's Mystical Shop: does same-day tarot readings for $25-$100+
- Psychic Alice: has nearly 25,000 sales and offers tarot card readings for multiple topics
- Psychic Amanda Studio: 166,000+ sales (!!!) and is a top-rated psychic shop on Etsy.
Make it more passive: Teach others how to read tarot cards by creating a course and selling it to newbie card slingers.
I read palms at a flea market one year (mannnyyyy moons ago) and it was so fun! If I was wanting to read palms in this day and age, I would definitely bring the business online.
Successful examples of palm readers include:
- ByNymph: metaphysical Etsy shop that includes palm readings and has over 34,000 sales
- TheAlmostWitch: sells Book of Shadows/Grimoire pages (passive!!) and has over 32,000 sales
Yes, people pay folks to write and cast spells for them!
Successful examples of spellcasters include:
- Spells by Melissa: more than 7,000 sales in her Etsy shop!
- Scorpio Moon Psychic: thousands of sales; digital items like this spell bundle
- Spell Casting Andorra: more than 11,000 sales with only 11 listings!!
- The Baby Witch Co: sells spell casting envelopes – super cute, and passive!
Make it more passive: Write 100+ spells, categorize them, and publish them on Amazon KDP. Make the book free for a few days to build up your downloads and reviews. Read all about how to sell books on Amazon KDP.
Rune casting may not be as popular as other metaphysical businesses, but it shouldn't be overlooked! You can create rune casting study guides, workbooks, printables, decks, and more. You can also offer rune casting as a service to your clients.
If you really want to get fancy, you can create rune casting boards with your Glowforge or even make your own runes and sell them.
Successful examples of rune-related shops include:
- ColorfestStudio sells rune journal printable pages and is a star seller!
- MyLifeMyPlans creates Grimoire pages (including these rune pages) and has nearly 12,000 sales.
- PaperandBladesCo has beautiful runes for sale (you can make these with the Glowforge!)
Make it more passive: Write a book about how to read runes. Create printables to sell on Etsy with rune meanings, like study worksheets etc.
Create bundles of crystals that go well together. For example, you can make bundles for:
- love: rose quartz, aventurine,
- protection: amethyst, obsidian, citrine, clear quartz
- peace: selenite, clear quartz, calcite, citrine
- repelling negativity: selenite, clear quartz, obsidian
- money: pyrite, jade, Tiger's Eye
Successful examples of crystal shops:
- Crystal Sand Tarot: my old shop, where I sold crystals charged in a vortex
- TotalStones: sells crystals at a steep discount; this is easy to do when you order in bulk and pay wholesale prices or find a local source that is inexpensive. This shop has nearly 50,000 sales!
- WaterRok: makes crystal jewelry and has over 46,000 sales!
- SentientSelf: sells candles with crystals on top. This is a VERY popular way to create candles, as they sell like hotcakes.
Make it more passive: Create a blog about crystals. Write an ebook about crystals, their uses, and how to ethically source them.
Read people's birth charts, explain and interpret charts, give personalized horoscope readings, and more.
Successful examples of astrology-related shops:
- BirthChart: popular shop on Etsy that sells birth/natal chart readings as well as jewelry* – nearly 6,000 sales!
- ArtisticPsychic: sells detailed natal chart readings, has almost 60,000 sales! She grew her sales by using TikTok.
- AstrologyGirl: sells birth chart readings, has best sellers and over 6,000 sales.
- MyAstroBook: this shop offers your birth chart delivered in a hardback book!
- SoulWhisperAstrology: offers astrocartography readings so you can find the best places for love, career, and more. This shop has close to 3,000 sales!
*Note: It is against Etsy's TOS to buy jewelry and resell it, so I would steer clear of that unless you're making it into a bundle with something you make (then it can be considered “handmade” because you add to it). You can get the jewelry seen above at places like AliExpress or Alibaba.
Make it more passive: Publish horoscope readings weekly through a paid platform like substack, Patreon, etc. Grow your following via Instagram or TikTok.
A meditation business centered around guided meditations specifically can be a great source of passive income. You can make it active income by holding guided meditations either on zoom or in person, but this business is easy to make passive so I definitely recommend going that route unless you're just dying for in-person interaction with clients (that will NEVER be my dream LOL).
Successful examples of meditation-based shops:
- MindfullyGreta: sells guided meditation scripts (passive!!)
- Mindfulness Exercises: this is where I buy my guided meditation scripts!
Make it passive: Write 50+ guided meditation scripts, organize them by category, and sell them in a bundle. I've spent hundreds of dollars on guided meditation scripts!
Which one should I choose?
It may feel like the most difficult part of all of this is choosing which business to start, which services to offer, etc. However, you're an intuitive, right? So take a step back, breathe, and pull a card – what is it telling you? There is your answer.
Want even more help? Join Passive Income Pathways, my free Facebook group where we talk about making money online and believe in collaboration over competition!